Welcome to New Orleans! Where the music is loud, the streets are dirty, the architecture is beautiful, and the food is TO DIE FOR!!
I am going to just skip right to the food. I love comfort food and if I had all of the money in the world, I would fly to New Orleans everytime I was in need of some comfort. We haven't had a disappointing meal yet. Yesterday for breakfast we went to Daisy Duke's where contrary to the name no one was wearing shorts, but where Jake's omelet was so full of flavor it practically ate itself. Then for lunch/dinner we were walking down Canal St. in search of a nice restaurant when a large black man with long dreads came out of a bar and handed us a menu. He convinced us that we were missing out by not eating at the Big Easy Bar. So we tried it. And he was right. My pot roast po'boy and french fries were drenched in gravy that got all over my face with every bite. The bartender kind of laughed at me, but I didn't care. I was in heaven!!
Today was even better! The hotel staff recommended a fancy restaurant called the Oceana with a famous breakfast menu, and on the way there we saw a little sidewalk sign advertising $5.oo breakfasts. At the back of a long dark hallway was a wooden door with a rough old sign that said "best kept secret in New Orleans". I guess so, it was the tiniest little "restaurant" I've ever seen. Walking down that hallway, I was pretty sure we were going to be mugged and shot. We walked up to a counter, where a large black woman yelled at us to go ahead and order. We yelled our order back and then went and sat down at a little table in the middle of the little, windowless room. I have never seen so much food piled onto just one small styrofoam plate in my whole life! Nor has it ever tasted so good. I wish that I had had my camera with me to take a picture of that pancake special. Have I mentioned that I this food is to die for? And all for $4.45 each!
Tonight we were again walking toward the Oceana grill for a dinner that would be about $18.00+ a plate when we passed a little corner joint blasting mexican music. We didn't even look at the name of the place, we just walked right in and proceeded to order the best pork carnita burritos and nachos I have ever eaten. They were juicy, flavorful, and "fantaverous" (fantasically carniverous, to quote Jake). I actually cleaned my plate, and then helped Jake finish off his. On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at Mr. Apple's Gourmet Apples and bought a cheesecake caramel apple. It's good (but not as good as Z's) and its the perfect way to end this day.
I am going to come back at least 10 pounds heavier, and I don't even care. Every gravy covered, syrup drenched, caramel coated bite is totally worth it!
4 comments:
I'm glad you are having a good time. That is awsome the food has been so good. Don't worry the Special K diet will always be here when you get back. Have fun and enjoy every minute together.
I had to read this one out loud to Dave :) Yay for good food and architecture!!! When you get back, I think you should definitely watch "Undercover Blues"; it's a good New Orleans movie, and sooooo funny.
I hope you and Jacob are having a blast!!
YUMMY!!! My brother and family live in Baton Rouge and they too say the food is fabulous! When they've come to visit us they've made us some very good food from there!
Amen! I love love love Southern food! No wonder it has the highest BMI in the lower 48, because the food is amazing, you just can't stop. I would love to go back to New Orleans, it is such an interesting city. Have fun with everything else!
Post a Comment