26 December 2010

Merry Christmas to All, And to All a Good Night

I had a wonderful Christmas.  It was full of family, friends, fun, and food. 

It was a busy weekend for me and I completely forgot to take pictures, because I was busy running here and there and everywhere. I started by doing some last minute shopping on Christmas Eve – yeah, yeah, I know but there were extenuating circumstances. Then I went to Mom and Dad Fiala’s to help get ready for our big Christmas Eve feast, then out to Mom and Dad Schwab’s where we opened some presents and played fun games, then home for a few hours sleep before driving back to Mom and Dad F’s for Christmas morning and to Skype with my special someone. Then out to GHAD’s for Christmas dinner and finally home again.  I drove from one end of the Magic Valley and back again several times in the last few days. I loved every moment of it!!

Christmas is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year. Isn’t that how the Christmas carol goes anyway?  There is a big emphasis on family and friends at Christmas time.  I’ve been blessed with both and I am ever so thankful for them.  I had wonderful girls who helped me decorate my house with ornaments and lights, I had invitations to lunches, and dinners. I had much to keep me busy.  I want all of my wonderful family to know that I appreciated your thoughtfulness and your love. It would have been very easy for me to wallow in self-inflicted sadness. I’m inclined to do that now and again.  But even busy and happy as I was, there were moments when I stood very still and listened to the quietness of my house. There are moments when it feels very empty and hollow.  I can’t imagine how I would have felt if I had been truly alone on Christmas. I know that there are people in this world who were alone and I feel for them.  I feel for our military who, though they are with their comrades-in-arms, are separated from family and loved ones as well.  It’s a hard thing to endure during this season of familial togetherness. I know I had to make an extra effort, emotionally speaking, to catch the Christmas spirit, but I’m thankful the people in my life who also made the extra effort on my behalf. 

Now the craziness of the holiday rush is over and life can go back to business as usual. Kind of, anyway.  I’m going to celebrate the New Year somewhere warm, or at least warmer.  I’m heading to New Mexico! Yea!!

I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i thought about you. i know how it feels to have a soldier out on important dates. i am glad your family took care of you :)

what's in new mexico?! sounds exciting!

Sara said...

Yay!! I can't wait to see you today!! I'm glad that you had a good Christmas and I'm SO grateful that I get to spend the next week talking to you about it and everything under the sun. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I tried to write on your facebook wall and I couldn't. So have fun in New Mexico, and I have hella projects lined up for us when you get back! :)

Alex

Anonymous said...

It was a great Christmas, except for missing Jacob it was almost perfect. We did run you ragged. It brings a whole new meaning to "Over the river and through the woods to Grandmothers house we go." Instead it was: "Over the river and up 93 to Grandmothers house we go, again and again."
I am thankful for my kids for making the effort to be together, and for skype so Jacob could be there too.