I buried my baby today. It was one of the most heart wrenching steps of this ordeal. She was laid out in a white blessing gown sewn especially for a micro-preemie, and she had a little white head band on her head. Her beautiful little face was at peace. She almost had a smile on her lips. Her hands laid gently to her side. She was beautiful. We sat there, Jake and I, with our mothers on either side of us, in front of a tiny, sweet white casket. The sun was warm, the breeze was gentle, and I felt a beautiful peace in my heart. Still I cried. Alot. I couldn't help myself. My little tiny baby is gone. I know this. I know her soul is in Heaven. And yet, her sweet angelic little face was sleeping so peacefully in front of me and I cried. I didn't cry for Julia. She feels no pain and the life she would have had, even if she had lived, would have never been a life worth living. I cried for myself. I cried for my husband. I cried because I could and because I wanted to. I wanted a baby so badly and the Lord gave me a perfect soul to love forever. But my arms were empty and the casket was full, and life didn't seem fair at that moment. I know the body in that casket was simply a shell, used to house her beautiful spirit while she was here on earth. Her spirit was there, in our hearts, where it will remain forever. Still, no mother should have to bury her children. No father should have to dedicate his child's grave. Jake, by the way, did a perfect job. He is strong and steady, even when I know he doesn't always want to be strong and steady. He is my strength.
After the service we came back to the house where we were loved and hugged by countless numbers of people. I will never again feel alone or unnoticed. I was overwhelmed by the scores of family and friends who came to show their support. Thank you. To have come home to an empty house would have been a burden we could not have borne. But to come home to a house full of love, and some laughter, and warm, comforting embraces, made this day bearable. The Relief Society took care of most of the refreshments and they did a wonderful job. Everyone's contributions were wonderful. Just as there are no words of comfort to offer to Jacob and I at this time except "I love you," there are no words to express my gratitude to my family and friends except "thank you," and "we love you."
It will be time now to find our new "normal" as one friend said today. Tomorrow we will have to come to the realization that there are no more preparations to make, there are no important decisions to occupy our minds. Now we can begin to heal, to move forward with our lives. Julia is a beautiful part of our lives, and we will carry her forward with us, but now we must balance our pain and our grief, with life in the real world. We must tuck her away in our hearts as we pick up our hobbies, return to work (Jacob, not me -- it's summer time for me), continue the yard work, and strengthen ourselves for the next challenge life springs on us. Please continue to include us in your prayers. It is the source of our strength and with your love we will make it.
10 comments:
We wish we could have been there to support you yesterday. But know we are thinking of you daily. Thank you for this wonderful blog. Your words help me feel like I am close by you. Please know we love you and miss you and hope to see you again soon. All our best to you and your families.
- Kimmi and Mark
Katie, thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us. You are an amazing, strong woman. I couldn't help yesterday but admire your never-ending sweetness and charity, even in your time of sorrow. You are a light to us all. It was a beautiful, perfect little service for your perfect angel. My love to you and Jake.
Thanks so much for allowing us to come into your home yesterday. You give me much strengh seeing how strong and positve you are through all you've gone through. We love you and will do anything we can to help. Even if its just a phone call to say hi or a walk. Anything, Katie, I'm here!
I know Julia was there by your side at the service. I hope you continue to feel the peace and protection of the Savior's love, and the love of your family and friends as your days return to "normal". We love you so much, and you really aren't alone. I really wish I could have been there yesterday, but I knew you would be surrounded by loved ones, and I'm glad to hear that there was some joy in the gathering. You are such a strong woman, but if at any time you don't feel like you can keep it up, please call. I love you!
Your words are so powerful. I've never been great at putting words together so I am understood but you do it so well that all around you feel loved, appreciated, invited in to take part in an experience that has changed you so much. Thank you for sharing your strength and your trust in the Lord. Thank you also for inviting us to share in the tragedy of it all. I'm sure it is so far away from easy but you do it in such a way that I believe we all feel like family. You've become our sister, Jacob our brother and Julia has become a niece we all feel close to and will miss. You truly are incredible people. Thank you for sharing with us.
Katie-
My dear friend Rachel pointed me to your blog and I hope you don't mind me commenting.
My heart and prayers go out to during this heart wrenching time. From one grieving mother to another. We gave birth to our stillborn son in November. We lost him due to a rare heart condition known as Ebsteins Anomaly, and as you said in this post... no mother should ever have to bury their child.
Your strength and testimony are so apparent in your words. What a wonderful example you are to those around you. I pray you will be able to continue on with strength and hope in the plan of salvation.
If you ever need any one to talk to about anything, you can email me at hilsblog(at)gmail. I would love to hear from you.
I forgot to tell you, you can read about our experience with our little Michael here: http://www.hilsblog.com/p/michaels-story.html
Hugs.
Hil
We are sad that we could not make it to the Celebration of the Life here on Earth for Little Julia! But we so appreciate all your Words you share with us on this Blog and your Strength and the True feelings you put down explaining your Loss and yet how you can go on. No one but the one who has gone through this can know the feeling! You will be in our Prayers continually in the months to come while you and Jake get through the grieving time, which will be a lifetime, but only brief because you will spend Eternity with your Beloved Daughter! In the Love of Christ, we are proud to be part of your family! Grandma Betty and Grandpa Dick
I hope the summer sun will warm you body and soul. I love you both and think of you daily.
Post a Comment