31 January 2010

In a Jam!

Since it was a snowy Sunday Stake Conference day, I decided it would be a good day to make some jam. Two summers ago, I picked and froze several gallons of strawberries. Over the last few years I have bought frozen raspberries and mixed berries assumming that I may need them or could use them in a smoothie. So day I turned them all into jam. I made one batch of strawberry jam, one batch of raspberry jam, and one batch of Berry Medley jam.
I used thirteen and a half cups of sugar and it took three and a half hours but my freezer is stocked with enough jam to last for years.
I made freezer jam, not cooked jam, but I used the stove top
because the rest of my counter space was being used for the other
steps of the process. While one batch of jam was being worked on,
one was "resting" - absorbing the pectin, and berries were thawing.
It was a busy kitchen.
Jake was a big helper! He carried the sugar upstairs for me
and helped me do the dishes!
He also took pictures of himself being sexy!

1 comment:

7aura7 said...

Ah I remember the jam days in Snowview #2. Yum! I see that I'm not the only one that thinks you're having a girl ;) It was great to talk to you the other day!