28 November 2009

20 Lbs of Homework

I love being a teacher. I really do. I really love being a writing teacher. Kids can come up with some of the most creative things to write. However, there are a few downsides. The biggest one being all of the homework. No, not the kids' homework. My homework!

Here's my current bane: 20 pounds of essays!

For the last three weeks I have been hauling around a large bag of essays. Haul them home, haul them back to school, haul them home, haul them back to school. I would pick an essay off the top, get bored or distracted, and never grade it. The first batch of essays were 145 scary stories written before Halloween and still not read. Then we finished another essay and it was added to the pile (145 essays on "The qualities of a good friend.") Finally last weekend, I decided it was time to do or die. Sink or swim. I settled in for a long weeknd of grading. Once on the couch, I promptly fell asleep. Then I woke up and made myself some hot chocolate. Then I remembered errands I had to run. And then... and then... and then... I sank.

Now, it is Thanskgiving weekend. I have five whole days. This coming Tuesday is the District Direct Writing Assessment - the DWA! The kids have to have feedback on their writing before they take the test. Otherwise they will never know if they are writing correctly or not. So, I have done it. I have finally graded almost all of those essays.

20.6 lbs of papers - and you thought I was exaggerating!

Sorry this one is sideways.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Yikes!! That is intimidating! Good luck getting through the rest of them.

7aura7 said...

That is insane! Incredible! Daunting! I can't believe you got it done :) Good job Katie!!! What an amazing accomplishment! (I don't think I would have done it...) Have you ever had Jake help you? :)

Jake and Katie Schwabedissen said...

Jake stapled the rubrics to the papers and figured out the percentages while I graded. That saved me a good hour of time, I'm sure.

Keri said...

20lbs!!! It gives me a headache just looking at it. Great job on getting it done.