20 August 2012

Our Adoption Process

Phew!!! We’re done with all the preliminaries!

This morning we completed the final step of the adoption preparation. We’ve done the background checks, we’ve done the employment verifications, we’ve written our letter to the birth mother, and now even the home study is complete.

The LDS Family Services representative came by today to complete the home study. I was pretty nervous. I have been cleaning and stressing for a few days now. My mom came over to do yard work, and Jake’s mom came and helped me decorate the nursery.

In the end, we failed on only one point- we didn’t have a smoke alarm in the nursery. However, he thought that everything else seemed good to go. We showed him around the house. He met the dog. He checked the fire extinguishers. He interviewed us as a couple, and he interviewed us individually. And I guess we passed!

Our profile should be up and running by this evening. 

Now we wait.

Brother Jacobia said that most adoptive couples are waiting for at least a year or two before they are chosen. BUT if we want to beat the odds, then we will need to advertise, advertise, advertise. I am going to make postcards with links to our adoption profile. These postcards will be available for downloading and printing (wherever you print your photos) sometime by the end of the week. Then these postcards can be put on bulletin boards in counseling offices, or doctor’s offices, or wherever! The more we can share our story, the better our odds will be. 

Will you help us?

6 comments:

7aura7 said...

You can count on us! Let me know when the postcards are ready <3

Johnny and Jenette said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy things are moving along. I would love to put out some postcards for you! Are there any restrictions on location? Am I able to put them up here in Washington? I'm so happy for you, please let us know what we can do to help! Love you!

Jake and Katie Schwabedissen said...

Jenette- you absolutely can put them up in Washington. Arizona is the only state we're not crazy about because of some of their adoption laws. I'll have more details soon!

Curtis and Crystal Emery said...

Yes!

Christy said...

I'd love to help you out Katie!!! I am so excited for you!

Johnny and Jenette said...

Great! I'll print some this weekend and get them up. Thanks!! My heart and prayers are with you.