This subject has been on my mind a lot this week because of three very poignant conversations that I’ve had with friends this past month or so.
I don’t really know what I want to say right now, I just feel like I should say something.
I guess I should start by saying that I’ve noticed that throughout all of these conversations has been one very underlying theme: Marriage is hard.
Marriage is kind of like a balancing act, with its contradicting qualities. In a marriage, you are an individual but also part of a team. You have to be strong and reliable for your spouse, but allow yourself to lean on them for strength as well. You have to be willing to bend and compromise, but you have to voice your own thoughts and your own beliefs.
I am sitting here tonight feeling inadequate as a friend. I wish I had some great words of wisdom to offer the wonderful women who have reached out to me this past month. I wish I could say just the right thing to solve all their problems, but I can’t.
I will be celebrating my sixth wedding anniversary this weekend. I will celebrate by sleeping in, doing some exercising, going for a drive in the country, and hopefully calling my dear husband on the phone. This is not the first time that we will spend our anniversary miles and miles apart, nor will it be the last, I’m sure. I hope that even though we are apart he knows how much I love him, how grateful I am that he is a part of my life.
Maybe I’ll have more wisdom after my seventh year.
2 comments:
I hear you. If only the words of immense wisdom (and comfort) would come when they're needed. Marriage is wonderful and so very hard. But when things are going right, and you see it falling apart for someone else, you feel like the luckiest person in the world. I'm so glad you have Jake, even when he's miles away. <3
To you and Laural: exactly. I've been thinking about all of my wonderful former roommates lately. I love and miss you lovely ladies.
Post a Comment