I just got home from a very long day.
I woke up last night feeling like I was going to be sick. Once I got up and began getting ready for the day the feeling changed from "I'm about to throw up" to "Is someone sitting on my chest?" It hurt to breathe deeply, and it especially hurt to swallow. I wondered if my esophogus was blocked. Burping would help for a minute and then the pain would come right back.
I called Doctor Slater, my fertility specialist, in Boise. She said that chest pain and squeezing was not a normal side effect to my meds, and I should go to the emergency room. I didn't want to go to the emergency room. But she and her nurse were very insistent. Downright bossy, actually.
So I arranged for a sub to cover my class and I sent an e-mail to my Associated Principal (whom I love) and told her I would be leaving soon. She marched right down with a wonderful school counselor who took over my class. Danielle (my AP) had me call my mom so that I wouldn't pass out while driving.
Mom came right over and picked me up. It was very much a flashback to my middle school years when I was sick a lot and she would come in and get me from the front office. She drove me to the E.R. and stayed with me from 11:00 to 4:00! We watched some Paula Deen cooking and Love in the Afternoon with Audrey Hepburn on the T.V.
Meanwhile the doctors were monitoring my chest pains and running lots of tests. They did an EKG to check my heart, they did an x-ray to check my lungs. They took a lot of blood and put me on an IV and oxygen. All results came back negative. They have no idea what was wrong with me. And I wasn't much help. While lying there in bed, not speaking much and relaxing, my chest didn't hurt.
"On a scale of 1-10 what is your pain level?"
"1-2"
It wasn't until I finally checked out of the hospital did the pain come back. Mom and I went out for dinner and oh did it hurt!
"On a scale of 1-1- what is your pain level?"
"7"
Tomorrow is a field trip and I don't want to miss it, so I am lying low tonight hoping that whatever it is, will go away on its own. Dr. Slater said to drop the Medrol (which is a steroid) and the E.R. doc prescribed Benadryl instead so that's what I am going to try. Hopefully it goes away soon. I can't take another day of sitting in that E.R. It was so boring and a great waste of time.
However, I felt very loved. Mom dropped everything at work and came to rescue me, and my colleagues at school were fabulous! I love you guys!!
1 comment:
What a frustrating day. Gahh! E.R. visits with no real results are awful. Just a very aggravating and expensive waste of time. I hope it clears up completely!
Post a Comment