14 May 2011

Thank You Notes

It was one year ago today that Jacob and I lost our only child to a severe birth defect. During the last twelve months we have gone through the grieving process and Jake’s deployment overseas. It has been emotionally draining- sometimes it still is. But there have been people in our lives who have been a blessing that we can not measure. I have never been good at writing thank you notes. There are many people who deserve a hand written letter of gratitude, but a public online acknowledgement will probably have to do instead.

  • Mom and Dad Fiala – Okay, words can’t ever express the feelings of a daughter to her parents so just know that I love you so much. Really I am speechless and overwhelmed when I think of everything you have done for me.
  • Mom and Dad Schwabedissen – I have the best in-laws in the entire world. I am so grateful that I married into a family where commitment, love, and support are such a big part of your daily lives. I have never felt like an outsider or been afraid to call when I needed something. You are wonderful people and I thank you for letting me marry your son and be a part of your family.
  • Sara (and Nate) – I’m so lucky to have found a bosom friend that understands me so well. I’m also lucky that her husband is so understanding and will let me steal her away for a good cry or a good laugh at even some of the strangest hours of the day or night.
  • Alex – We have always been close, but I feel that in this last year we have become even closer.  I can’t say that I would have always been at church if it hadn’t been for your support and physical presence in the meetings with me. My testimony stayed strong and I credit that to you and your family who gave me a reason to keep attending.
  • Amanda and T.J. – Thank you for giving me a shoulder to cry on (or punch, respectively) and then for always turning my tears into laughter. Your friendship has kept me going on days when I didn’t think that I had it in me to take even another step. 
  • O’Leary Staff – Thank you for the monetary donations and the love and prayers you shared on my behalf. The meals and cards were wonderful.  I am grateful that I work with such a dedicated group of individuals who really care about their coworkers and their students.
  • Garrett- Thank you for stepping in and taking care of the house and helping me while Jacob is away. You’ve saved me from untold amounts of stress with your unwavering commitment. Jacob owes you many hours of lost gaming time, which I’m sure he’ll be glad to pay.

I know that there are many wonderful people who have helped, but I can’t possibly write you all long notes now. I have tried to make lists of people who have been helpful in different ways and I just can’t do it. I run the risk of leaving off an important somebody.  Please just know that if you prayed for us, helped us, even smiled to us and tried in anyway to brighten our days, we felt your love and you strengthened us, and for that we thank you! We couldn’t have gotten through this year without you!

4 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

Katie, you truly amaze me at how wonderful you are!

Sara said...

Dearest Katie and Jake. You inspire me daily. I am so grateful that we have you in our lives! If love were tangible, you'd both be bowled over with all the love we're sending your way. (You may want to duck, just in case.)

Racheal said...

I'm so glad we've met and are friends :) You're such a wonderful person!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, I had no idea.....I wish you two the best with your future! You were always my favorite teacher, I think because of how happy and positive that you always were. :)