Wow! I loved this movie. Thank you Laural for recommending it! Yes, it is true there were a few parts that caused me to raise my eyebrows and say, “Really, folks- I thought this was Jane Austen, not Prime Time television.” But I LOVE anything that is Jane Austen. And the best part is that I haven’t ever read this book. This is the first Jane Austen story that I experienced via movie before book, but now I can’t wait to read it. I am going to the library to check it out ASAP.
Here’s the spoiler part: I loved how cute Edmund is. He’s so sweet, just like all Austen men should be. I wanted to bonk him on the head (yes, Laural, similar to my feeling about puppies) and tell him to shape up and figure out who he was really in love with.
Best quotes of the movie: “This is 1806 for Heaven’s sake!”
Edmund Bertram: Oh, don't be an imbecile.
Fanny Price: Oh, but imbecility in women is a great enhancement to their personal charms.
Edmund Bertram: Fanny, you're being irrational.
Fanny Price: Yet another adornment. I must be ravishing.
Next week’s movie: Amelie – recommended by Jennifer so of course its gonna be good!
6 comments:
Haha! I felt the exactly way about Edmund; he's just adorable. Which is why you HAVE to watch the 2009 Emma. He is Mr. Knightly. I love the Knightly in the Gwenyth Paltrow version, but this guy is even better! The "Badly done Emma!" scene just cuts you to the quick!!
I love any Jane Austen movie!!!! YOu are watching Amelie or Amelia?? About Amelia Erhart??
I love this one too! I also agree with Laural...the 2009 Emma is a MUST watch! It surpasses all other Emma movies and is my favorite Jane Austen book movie now. (I have it if you would like to borrow it.)
Okay...so I have no idea how I have made it this long not knowing that a new Emma movie was released. So glad I checked your blog Katie. Thanks for reviewing your movies and my 2009 Emma is comng to me via netflix on the very next shipment. Thanks again! Hope you are doing well. I tried to call awhile ago. I guess I will try again. Let me know if you would like to have more company for any of your movie nights. Miss you!
Tara- I am watching Amelie. I'd never heard of it, but I'm just trusting jo. I don't think it is about Amelia Earhart- but that one looks good too.
Keri- do you have the book or the movie? I have the book, but I would love to watch the movie. Maybe you and Jenn can join me?
Emily- I would love more company. You're welcome to come any time. Sorry I forgot to return your call.
I also loved this movie except for the not-so-Jane-Austen parts. I would own it in a heartbeat except for that.
I just recently discovered the 2009 version of Emma and I have to say "Edmund" does make an excellent "Mr. Knightly". Please let me know if and when you are watching this since I would like to join in (although I enjoyed Gwyneth Paltrow more as Emma than Romola Garai even though she does a really good job).
Thanks for the movie reviews.
Post a Comment