24 April 2009

Asparagus Picking

I'm sorry that I haven't posted for a while. It always drives me crazy when people don't post for long times but I guess I'm guilty of the same thing. The problem is I can never think of anything to post about. Luckily, the other day my mom called and asked me if I wanted to go asparagus picking. I had an Ah-ha moment. This was somehting that I could post!!! So here goes.

Asparagus hunting is a spring tradition in our family that signifies that winter is finally over. Usually we just walk along the side of the road and check certain places that are asparagus-guarantees but last year we found a GOLD MINE. There was a particular south facing slope that was covered in asparagus as far as the eye could see. It was amazing! I have been sworn to secrecy as to the location of this place and it is a secret I will take to the grave with me.

Anyway, we went out to check our secret spot but unfortunately it was on fire. The farmer that owns the ditch bank was burning the weeds off which means we were about a week too early. We'll try again next week and see if we can do better. But since we were out and about we drove around the neighborhood and checked our other spots. We didn't do too badly. On our way home we stopped by Holyoaks and visited with Kara and her cute little kiddos. Hi Kara!!

Mom and I with our hair blowing in the wind. We rode the Gator around because its easier than a car when going to our secret spot. A windshield would be nice though.

Mom cutting asparagus. It's kind of hard to see but that's the fun part of asparagus hunting. It's a challenge!
My small treasure. Yummy!!!!

7 comments:

Julie said...

mmmmm...I thinK I just remembered how I Am related to your family...can I join you for the hunt? You can blind fold me and make it all spy like..my mouth is watering.

Sara said...

Yay! I love new posts!! I had no idea that you could just go asparagus hunting - this is news to me. I probably wouldn't really know what an asparagus looks like...unless I referenced Veggie Tales.

7aura7 said...

hahahah! What a lovely family tradition :) I love that you took the Gator rather than a car. I miss you guys!

The Cook Clan said...

Yummy! I love fresh asparagus.

Tara Johnson said...

Love that hair!!!!

Johnny and Jenette said...

Nice I love asparagus! I've always wanted to pick some.

Tia said...

I didn't know you had a blog either! I thought I'd look on your facebook profile and found it. I started mine this last February.
It was actually at your place that I first tried an asparagus. :)