08 August 2011

One Man’s Junk…

I’m going to be honest here: I’m not really one of those great crafter/redecorator types. Occasionally I have fits of madness where I attempt craftiness (my bedroom, for example, the unfinished quilt in my basement for another) and then I enlist the help of someone craftier than I to save me.   I wish that I was craftier, but, to be honest, some of those crafty people blogs kind of overwhelm me, and – to be really honest- I’m too lazy to put in that much work.  However, today I got bitten by the crafty bug again and I am feeling pretty darn proud of myself. True to form I enlisted help from my mom and together I think we did a pretty good job. 

I decided that my classroom needed warmer, cozier lighting than the fluorescent bulbs offered, so Mom and I went lamp shopping.  We went to a few thrift stores and consignment shops before we found our first treasure- a floor lamp for $5 at St. Vincent de Pauls!  A little while later we found our second treasure – another floor lamp at the Salvation Army for a whopping $2!!

DSCN1144 

This picture doesn’t do justice to the metallic gold shine or the gaudy white metal.

Next we went to Target where we priced lamp shades – average was like $15 for a so-so shade- totally not worth it.

So, we went to Lowe’s. (I Red heartLowe’s).  There we found a can of spray paint ($5) and really cute lamp shades ($9 a piece) ! For a finishing touch we stopped by Michaels and bought some Halloween ribbon that was on sale (don’t even get me started on that obnoxiousness. I mean, Halloween already, seriously gross!).

(For those of you keeping track this means that the more expensive lamp has now cost about $16.)

Here are my finished projects:

DSCN1146   DSCN1145

DSCN1148  DSCN1149

Aren’t they great!?

Now I need  your help. I liked these so much that I want to redo the floor lamp that is in my living room but I don’t know which one I liked more. Please help me out! Should I do the patterned shade or the plain shade with the polka dot ribbon? I just can’t make up my mind!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Patterned.

Sara said...

I love the patterned one too. You are definitely crafty! So cute!

teddi said...

I like the patterened lamp shade. It is way cute, nice job!!

Christy said...

I love, love, love the patterned one Katie! Can you help me make one?! Awesome project. :)

Anonymous said...

I guess we all agreed so far on the patterned one...although I loved them both...they were very cute! Good Job Katie..you are always on my mind and in my prayers! Love You much! Grandma Betty