23 October 2010

Movie Reviews

A couple of people have asked me how my movie project is going, and my sister-in-law, Sara, encouraged me to write about the movies- so here goes. My debut as a movie reviewer. Ha.

 

The first movie from my list was Only Angles Have Wings with Cary Grant.  It was a good movie. Cary Grant wasn’t silly and fall down goofy like he can be. In fact, this was a very serious movie about pilots who take on dangerous missions to deliver mail to remote islands.  Grant plays the boss who gets to decide who flies and when they fly. He often sends his men out into very dangerous runs knowing that they might not make it back.  A woman, Jean Arthur, is on a boat passing through the area and she decides that she wants to stay and get to know the men there better.  I liked the relationship that built between the Grant and Arthur but it was a little far-fetched.  Did women in the 1930’s really get off ships in the middle of the Pacific and just start sticking their noses into other people’s business for no good reason?  I can understand falling in love with Cary Grant – who wouldn’t? But I don’t know if I buy the rest.  It was a sweet movie and I liked it.  I would give  smooth-starsmooth-starsmooth-star out of five.

The second movie was The Time Traveler’s Wife.  I LOVED this movie. It was sad but it was like feel-good sad. Like the Notebook or Message in a Bottle.  I am a little surprised actually that the book wasn’t written by Nicholas Sparks. It is just the kind of sappy love story that he would write.  I didn’t think I would like it. I started the movie planning on not enjoying it. I don’t like time-travel. It doesn’t make sense to me.  But this movie wasn’t weird or confusing. I absolutely think that Eric Bana is sooo good looking when he gets older. I liked this movie so much that I went out and bought it for my movie collection and then took it to my cousin’s house and made them watch it with me so I could see it again.  It is a movie that I will gladly watch over and over and over.  Especially during times when I am feeling lonely and need a good, sappy love story to fall into. I give it smooth-starsmooth-starsmooth-starsmooth-starsmooth-star out of five.

The third movie was French Kiss with Meg Ryan.  This movie was silly.  It was classic cute Meg Ryan (Sleepless in Seattle, You’ve Got Mail) who flies to France to win back her fiance’s love (he fell in love on a business trip) and ends up in a relationship with a jewe l thief who just steals jewelry so that he can buy his own vineyard and live the life of a farmer.  It was a cute movie but it was cheesy and predictable.  Alex came over and watched it with me. Neither of us was blown away, so I think I’d have to give it a smooth-starsmooth-starsmooth-starout of five.

 

The final movie that I have seen so far is Benny and Joon.  Alex and Cami Sue came over to watch this one with me.  It was really cute!! I had forgotten that it was going to have Johnny Depp in it.  Has he ever played a mentally stable character?  I think I enjoyed this movie a little extra because I was watching it with Cami who kept saying “This is a good part, I love this part!” It was fun to see how much she liked it, and then I liked it too.  This movie is about a man with a mentally disabled sister and the relationships that they make and the way their relationships change.  It was a sweet movie. I give it smooth-starsmooth-starsmooth-starsmooth-starout of five.

 

I watch a new movie every Monday night. Next week’s movie will hopefully be Mansfield Park.

4 comments:

Tara Johnson said...

Word of Caution in watching Mansfield Park. Which edition are you watching???

7aura7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
7aura7 said...

I haven't seen the first two, but I agree with you on the third and fourth. Very interesting and cute movie. Benny & Joon made me have even more respect for families who take care of someone who is mentally disabled and the choices they have to make. I also watched it with some long-time fans, and that made it even more fun for me too :) French Kiss was just silly, and you know my usual reaction to silly chick flicks.

We enjoyed Mansfield Park overall. But I think we watched the one Tara is referring to, as the one we watched did have a few "I really wish I hadn't seen that!!" scenes. Which is weird, because it's a Jane Austen novel for heavens sake! A few artistic liberties were taken pretty far if you ask me...

Cami Sue said...

Thanks for the reviews! I haven't seen the first 2 either (I haven't even heard of them until now) but now am interested in watching both.

French Kiss used to be one my brother in law, sister and I would watch a lot and quote the lines. We made it really funny somehow and watched it over and over again. I guess it might be the people you watch it with because now it's just not the same without them.

I admit that Benny and Joon is a goofy love story but sometimes I wish I could go a little crazy and make grilled cheese sandwiches with an iron and mashed potatoes with a racquet. It also has some really great lines.

How did you like Mansfield Park? What's next on your list?