06 August 2010

Destruction

Sammy is like a whirlwind of destruction. Since he has been in our home he has destroyed:

  • the wooden floor
  • the globe stand
  • one pair of flip flops
  • my computer mouse
  • the plastic barbecue grill cover
  • sections of my back yard (huge holes)
  • two balls
  • a John Grisham novel (sorry Crystal, I’ll replace it)
  • the back of the couch
  • a wicker basket

We’re also having a really hard time potty training him. He knows that he is not supposed to make messes in the house. Every time he does, he will go and hide in the other room or in his kennel, but he never lets us know he wants to go outside. I have literally been playing with him, petting him, or feeding him and he will just walk away from me and squat. He never whines or barks first. He never walks to the door or tries to get out. I never know when it is coming. When we catch him, we put his nose to the mess and spank him, then we put him outside for a while. When he goes potty outside I always try to give him a treat and tell him what a good dog he is. He doesn’t seem to be catching on very well though. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I am really tired of scrubbing my floors.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOG DOOR! and threaten to kill him, just a really loud mean word worked for our dogs. never put a hand on them but they thought they were going to die from my tone.

7aura7 said...

Frank should be very ashamed that Sammy got to the computer mouse before he did. :)

I wish I could help, but it seems like every dog is different, kinda like kids, and as soon as I think I know what I'm doing as far as training dogs goes, I realize I've made 0% progress.

Just remember, every wonderfully loving, calm, intelligent, and gentle grown dog was once a spastic, stupid, pain in the neck puppy.

Melissa said...

Keep him in the kennel a lot for now. Since that is where he sleeps he won't dirty it up. Then he will whine when he has to go and take him straight outside and give him a treat when he's done. Worked for our two dogs!! Keep a really close eye on him when he's not in his kennel and eventually he'll start to cry a little then too to let you know.

Also as for the chewing and destruction, we taught our dogs to "leave it" and shouting that when they went for something to chew on, scared them and they stopped!

Hope this helps!

The Cook Clan said...

Wow, that sounds like lots of fun! :) Fun seeing you guys today!

jennifer olson said...

gross. i'm sorry.

Grace said...

We used puppy pads (or newspapers) and lined the part of the house that our puppy was in with them. Every day or every other day we would remove one of the pads forever, and as the area got smaller and smaller we put another one outside, so our dog knew to go on the puppy pads outside. We had her house-trained in 2 weeks with that method. Good luck!