14 August 2010

Chapter 16: A Headstone and Final Resting Place

Julia’s headstone has finally arrived.  There were several delays and miscommunications, but it has finally made it! Jacob and I went to the cemetery today to lay some flowers by the little, temporary marker but when we got there we were surprised to find a large, beautiful slab of granite inscribed with a sweet picture of Christ cuddling an infant to His chest. It was exactly like we had pictured it. I cried when I saw the headstone.  It makes everything seem so final, so absolute. Looking at her beautiful name with the two little dates beneath it, brought back all of the memories of that painful, special week. 

         

I think it will be easier to visit the cemetery now that I have a place to actually visit. I’ve always felt silly standing there looking at the tiny temporary plaque and plastic flowers my sisters left there.   I have walked to the cemetery several times a week all summer long but I never stay long at Julia’s plot.  The Twin Falls Cemetery is a beautiful, peaceful place and Sammy and I have spent many hours walking around reading the names on the headstones and imagining stories for the people who are resting there. (Well, I doubt Sammy makes up stories, he’s more interested in chewing on the flowers).  

 

   

May you rest in peace, little one, until I can hold you and care for you again.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, Jake & Katie, it's a beautiful headstone - absolutely perfect for little Julia. I'm so glad it finally came.

Heather said...

I love the headstone. That's what I did at my sisters cemetary too. I felt like I should get to know the people there. I'm glad you can draw peace from imagining their lives too.

Anonymous said...

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened!

Tara Johnson said...

Katie & Jake it is beautiful! I have that exact picture and it will now always remind me of you and your great faith each time I look upon it. May it serve as a reminder to you of the life you should live so that you can return and be with your precious angel girl again. I love you Katie!

Dragon Pearl said...

Jacob and Katie it is a beautiful headstone. We are so glad for the friendship we share. I have always loved that picture.

Cami Sue said...

I believe cemeteries are peaceful places where we can go to think. That's awesome that you have a place to go visit and think. I love the picture of Christ holding a baby on the headstone. What a perfect picture. I hope it is bringing you peace. Love you guys.

7aura7 said...

It's a beautiful headstone. The picture of Christ holding the baby close to him is perfect for little Julia's memory. I'm so glad it finally came!

The Cook Clan said...

Oh what a sweet headstone. I love the beautiful picture you picked!

Keri said...

What a perfect headstone! Thanks for sharing pictures with us. If you ever need some company when you go let me know because Alex is always up for a walk!