11 June 2010

Summer Vacation

Please notice that this is not a "Chapter" post. My life is so full and busy with friends, family, and hobbies that there is much to write about outside of the grief and sorrow that is for Julia. Episodes of sadness and grief are temporarily taking a back seat to life, laughter, and sunshine. I will still have "Chapters" to write about: for example her headstone will be in in a few weeks, and milestones will come and go throughout the next year that I'm sure will be considered "Chapters" in her life, but for now I am tucking her into my heart and it is time for me to live my life.

First of all, I have been very busy working on the front porch of my house. I have a large south facing front porch that gets sunshine all day long. My mom and I have spent many hours perusing flower shops for good deals on pottery and plants. The front porch has been the setting for many wonderful conversations and peaceful moments. It's fun to rock back and forth, sipping lemonade and watching the flowers grow. It is also sheltered somewhat from the rain and I like to take a heavy quilt outside and watch the raindrops pitter patter on the flower petals or curl up with a good book. Because I don't have a garden space this year, I am trying container gardening. It is too early to see the fruit of my labors (literally) but so far the plants seem to be thriving. I have planted two tomato plants, three bell peppers, a box of onions, two cucumbers, and several different herbs.

Many people gave Jacob and I beautiful flower arrangements in memory of Julia. The hanging baskets and geraniums have made a beautiful addition to my porch. We were also given 9 roses which we planted in front of the porch. They are a variety of species and colors and I look forward to some warmer weather when they will bloom. Roses hold a special meaning to Jacob and I because it is my middle name and we often use roses to symbolize our affection for one another. To all of you who donated to this beautiful memorial garden, I thank you!

(Oops! Please tilt your head to see the picture!)

Second, is books! Reading is the best way to spend summer vacation. My sweet friend Crystal lent me more books than I will ever be able to read in a life time I'm sure! Many other friends have stopped by with books and book suggestions and my sister in law and I made a trip to the library the other day where we also stocked up on some summer reading. In the last three weeks I have read:

  • Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
  • The Street Lawyer by John Grisham
  • Joy Cometh in the Morning: a Story of Healing from the Loss of a Child by Fran C. Hafen
  • Dancing in the Light by Anita Stansfield
  • A Dance to Remember by Anita Stansfield
  • The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosney
  • Set in Stone by Linda Newbery

Finally, I've started exercising again. Just like last summer, my friend and I are determined to see improvements. Even if we haven't improved physically, I know this has been great emotional therapy for both of us. We get up and go every morning at 7:30. Hopefully soon we'll be back at the canyon though I need a little more time to prepare before I take on that challenge!

The next weeks are filling up with barbecues, birthday parties, picnics, and bicycle rides. Yea for summer vacation!!!!

6 comments:

7aura7 said...

Hooray for a front porch! I started feeling drowsy and content just reading your description. The memorial garden is wonderful, and what a beautiful way to keep Julia in your hearts.

I have to say, Street Lawyer is my favorite Grisham book so far, so I hope you love it too.

Oh, and would you believe it? A raccoon, or some other varmint ATE MY TOMATO PLANTS! Simply snipped them off at the stem! It doesn't bode well for my first efforts at gardening. Yours is looking very organized and full of potential.

You sound as though you're starting to heal, and I'm so glad to hear it. I think about you all the time, and hope you have plenty of laughs and smiles to balance out the sad moments. I love you!

Curtis and Crystal Emery said...

I love your background on your blog! I love the post and I'm glad you have enjoyed the books. There are many more where those came from :) I gave you a ton of John Grisham so don't feel like you have to read them all. I, on the other hand, feel guilty cause I haven't started on any of the books you let me borrow. I will get to them but if you need them back in the meantime let me know.

One of these Fridays I'd love to go to lunch if you're available. Curtis is in clinicals and so Lily and I are free as a bird and would love to come visit. I love all your flowers and I'm glad you're starting to heal. I still think of you everyday. Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

I haven't came to your blog for some time so was glad I checked it out tonight Katie. I have had you in my thoughts and prayers daily and I believe when everything is over and settled, a lot of people forget that you are still grieving and feeling sorroful and will for quite some time. There is always a healing time and it doesn't hurry, but it will diminish and be less and less even though you will never forget your little angel Julia, it will get better. It sounds like you are doing good and I am glad to read your words of encouragement and life and beauty. I love you dearly and am glad you are part of our family! In Jesus Love ALWAYS, Grandma Betty...Give Jake a big hug and kiss from me!

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie! My fam reads your blog all the time and btw i love your background! i'm happy you can excercise now although coming and doing yardwork for you...well it was a pleasure to see you. i had fun, even though i was working :) your entry was good...it made me want to sit out on the porch and listen to the rain under a big warm quilt:) well we'll have to get together for another movie night soon...

Love you so much!!!
~DMF

just call me jo said...

Love the porch! That and the books must help. How could they not? All I need is a book and a nap and I'm good to go usually. Have a happy summer full of comfort and promise. I will always love you guys. Your container garden looks great. Here in AZ it just fries everything. (Different than the frost in ID.)

The Cook Clan said...

Sounds like some great summer plans! I hope to walk with you guys shortly. I've been out of town and now have family in town. Hopefully soon though!