26 June 2010

Baklava

Jacob and I ran errands this morning.  While he was at the armory, I took a few minutes to walk down to the CSI farmers market.  It turns out that the farmers market is really much more of a flea market and the only fresh produce there was rhubarb.  I wandered around and looked at the homemade wooden chairs, afghans, finger puppets, jams, pies, and even home cooked doggie treats.  Then I discovered this adorable little woman, in Eastern Europe clothing, missing a few teeth, but with a big friendly smile on her face. She was selling homemade Ukrainian Baklava.

I couldn’t help myself, I had to buy one. In case you’re wondering, baklava is an Arabic type pastry the size of a hot pocket, and filled with cinnamon, honey, and nuts.  I took my prize back to the armory and split it with Jake.  He’s had baklava before, while in Iraq.  It was yummy.  It was a little bit dry, but it was also flaky and sweet.  I liked it a lot!

There are lots of different opinions about the CSI refugee program.  I know that the refugees qualify for government welfare, and don’t speak English, and are from countries that are often received with raised eyebrows when mentioned, but I for one am benefitting from it.  I am learning a lot about other cultures because they are here, and that is a good thing.  How else would I ever have gotten to try homemade baklava?  I am certainly not going to Ukraine any time soon. So, if you’re in town and feel like experiencing something a little bit different and new, I would recommend stopping by CSI on a Saturday morning between 9-1.  Who knows what you might find?!

4 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

Yummy, that sounds GOOD! I'll have to see if she's there next Saturday and try it. I also wanna go buy some rhubarb!!!! I love rhubarb crisp!

just call me jo said...

If Idaho's weather was more conducive to growing in June... Of course my garden is not-so-slowly frying in the 110 temps. Sigh! Where's the moderation. I always wanted to go to the CSI farmer's market. Lucky girl. You're expanding your horizons. Good treats!

Anonymous said...

Baklava! Only two days ago, I bought some Greek baklava from a little pastry shop here in Boston.Yes, there are different kinds from different countries the clerk informed me. Little happy memories are the best. Marie

Anonymous said...

Just getting around to reading some of your Blog again and so enjoy the little updates on what is going on in your lives! This sounds great and I wouldn't mind seeing something different from our own culture and I have heard of Baklava but never tried it myself...sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing! Love you and pray for you and Jake Daily! It was good to see you both yesterday at Tiara's Bridal shower! <3<3 Grandma Betty