Many wonderful people have told me that they are praying for me and for my family. For this, I thank you. On difficult days we have felt a strength beyond our own, a strength which could have only come as a result of all those prayers. I have a strong testimony of the power of prayer and I am very grateful for that communication with our Heavenly Father.
Lately I have been pondering prayer. The more I have heard people tell me they are praying for me, the more I have begun to wonder what they mean by this. Some people are specific and tell me that they are praying for a miracle. This, too, raises questions. I want to share my questions with you, not because I need answers, but because I have found that by putting pen to paper – fingers to keyboard—I am able to better clear my mind and organize my thoughts. If the following seems like random disjointed ramblings please forgive me.
First of all, what is a miracle? When people pray for a miracle will they be disappointed when our little one is not born perfect? A miracle could be anything from a miscarriage and an early release from this long ordeal to every day that I get to carry my little girl with me. Should I consider it a miracle when we get one full day, one week, or one year with our little one? Or does it have to be “the whole enchilada,” a happy, perfect baby? I too am praying for a miracle, but I can’t help wondering what that really means.
My second question is is it right to pray for a miracle, or is that selfishness? Sometimes when I think of miracles I wonder if I have the right to even ask for a miracle. In the New Testament Christ raises the daughter of a Pharisee from the dead. Christ did not call the Pharisee and his wife selfish in their desires, yet sometimes I feel selfish in mine. If the Lord has a plan for each of us, do I have the right to ask Him to allow me more time with my little girl, to care for her and to raise her? Would He change his plans for my sake? Would answering my prayers be thwarting a bigger plan that I am not able to comprehend? Who am I to ask God to change His mind?
That brings me to the last question: what if I don’t pray for a miracle and I am supposed to? Christ gave sight to the blind, fed the multitudes on naught but fish and bread and even raised the dead. He can perform miracles, but He does not do it arbitrarily. In the Old Testament Abraham was promised that his seed would be as numberless as the sands of the sea. However, his faithful wife Sarah was barren and unable to bear children. They were heartbroken and prayed faithfully for a child. I am sure, from my own experience, that Sarah prayed in her heart every minute of every day to have a child. They never gave up hope and I am sure that when their prayers were answered they were overjoyed! The Lord kept his promise to Abraham but Abraham also exercised much faith in the Lord by never giving up his prayers. We are instructed “ask and ye shall receive.” Does this mean that if I don’t ask, then I won’t receive? What kind of a mother would I be if I did not exercise every particle of my being in pleading for this little life? At what point do I say, “Thy will be done”?
Part of me already knows the answers. They are probably a combination of all things; plead for a complete miracle but be willing to accept whatever I am given, etc. But as I live this trial everyday I mostly plead for strength: the strength to get out of bed, the strength to go to school, the strength to be a support unto my family and friends. Whatever answers you may have for the questions I have been pondering please remember to never stop praying. God, our Eternal Father, hears all prayers and answers all prayers in one way or another, of this I am sure.
8 comments:
You are amazing Katie! Remember that Heavenly Father loves you & your cute little family & baby girl. I wish I had some profound words of comfort & advice but I don't - but I love you & will pray that you'll be comforted & have strength to get through whatever comes. You have an amazing family too!
This post was one of the best I've ever read. Very insightful and well thought. Thank you. Your still as faithful as I remember.
I think you hit it perfectly. You are a mother who wants the best possible outcome for your sweet little girl. As such, how can you not pray for a miracle? You are not selfish. Quite the opposite. You are a good mother, and there aren't many roles that are more noble and more selfless. I love you!
I love you Katie. I just heard about your precious little girl last night. It is so difficult to read your blog because it eminds me of so many feelings I just went through. I would love to visit with you. Although my situation is a little different, I can feel every heart-wrenching thought that you have witten down! This is so difficult yet an incredible blessing to go through. Earl and I love you guys! 733-2059
My dear friend Katie, you can ask our Heavenly Father for whatever is in your heart. I know during my trial what gave me the most peace was Thy will be done. It was very difficult for me to hang onto that but it was the only way I could understand and get through it especially if our situation had turned tragic. My heart is with you as you have to deal with this every second of your day. But know that you don't need to be a strength to anyone else, but to let us be a strength to you and that is why you feel the power of prayer. We all love you, you can feel it through the church and the community. I can't even tell you how many peoples thoughts are with you. I know I think of you and pray for you every day. Thank you for the post, I now understand why people wanted me to post while we were in the Boise NICU. It helps all of us connect to you and you put your feelings so beautifully into words. Like I said, you should write a book. Please call if you need anything. We love you Katie and Jake.
Very insightful Katie. I appreciate you writing your thoughts down to share. I have found that the greatest miracles in my life were most often during times of my greatest struggles as well.
I love the quote from Evan Almighty where Morgan Freeman who is playing God says, "Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"
So let us pray for faith and accept the opportunities to be tested.
Let us pray for help and see opportunities to help others.
Let us pray for a miracle and I assure you (whatever the outcome may be) we will have the opportunity to witness one.
With love,
Anna
Dear Katie and Jake, You are very Special and Father is giving you strength and knowledge beyond any thing or anyone of us can really comprehend. Whatever the Father's Will is you can be sure there is a Blessing beyond our comprehension at this time and it will be revealed at His timing and in His way! He chose you both for this specific time and period and we wait with our Hearts and Eyes open to whatever He has for you and the Crown that you will receive in the future for your Trust and Faith in His Plan and Purpose for your lives!! I am keeping you lifted to His Throne of Grace and Mercy daily! In Him we Trust and Know HIS Way is perfect!! In Jesus Holy Name. Amen and Amen.....Grandma Betty
Oh Katie, you are such an inspiration to me! We having been praying for you to have the strength to deal with whatever may come your way. I think you need to pray for a miracle. Whatever that miracle may be large or small it will still be a miracle. It must be very very hard to coup with the things your family is dealing with. I think if you pray for your little girl and let the rest be in the Lord's hands that is all you can do. Remember through all this it isn't punishment from our Heavenly Father, it is a trial to learn from. We love you guys and hope for the best!
Post a Comment