03 January 2009

Popcorn anyone?

I have decided to educate myself on the history of American Film.

Though I have always considered myself a fan of movies, I have realized recently that there is over a century of great cinematography that I have not seen. I have always dabbled in Hollywood history: I was probably only 10 years old when I first saw Pillow Talk with Doris Day, and in college I was introduced to the works of Cary Grant, and Audrey Hepburn. (Anybody remember watching Wait Until Dark during a summer thunderstorm?) But how can I call myself a true fan until I have really immersed myself in the silver screen?

There are two big problems with jumping into movie watching: finding the time and picking which movies to watch. The first problem with catching up on 100 years of movies is finding the time. Who has the time to sit and watch movies? Well. . . I do. You see, Jacob is going to Boise for training soon. He'll be gone for 10 days. He will come home for about 4 days before going to Reno, Nevada - - - for 3 months. Yes, that's right. Starting on Tuesday, I will only see Jake for 4 days until the middle of April, (approximately 98 days). Sure, I have a lot of things to keep me busy: an online poetry class, a huge scrapbooking project I'm in the middle of, my calling as Beehive advisor, a rubix cube, and research papers to grade, but who says I can't have a movie playing in the back ground at the same time?

The second problem is picking movies. I have gone through Jake's movie collection and marked all of the movies I've never seen and would be interested in watching. I have also reordered our Netflix's queue so that his choices are at the bottom and mine are at the top. However I need recommendations. If anyone has a great film to add to my repertoire please let me know. I am open to suggestions. My only stipulation would be NO horror movies. Unless you are going to come stay up with me all night in this creaky old house, don't even go there.

And feel free to stop by. I'll pop the popcorn.


7 comments:

Mark and Kimmi said...

Katie, I will totally join you in your movie quest! I love love old movies and have a bunch on my netflix list. My suggestion is to look at the top 100 movies list and pick a few. And next time I see you I can name a few of my favorites.

7aura7 said...

98 days?! :( That's horrid! Well, I would LOVE to come watch with you, but due to distance, I'll just have to email you a long list of great movies :) For now, one Carey Grant which I heard was a hilarious is "Bringing Up Baby". Seen it already?
I do remember that late summer storm and Wait Until Dark! What a great memory!! The girls jumped straight up in the air. :D Oh the good ol' days...

The Cook Clan said...

That does sound like fun. I remember watching Pillow Talk but I don't remember much else. Hey, I'll hang with you anytime cuz Scott will be here but not really. He has two part-time jobs and going to school full-time! I know I'm gonnna be a looser. So call me anytime!!

Sara said...

Aha, Katie! I see through this - it's really just a way to know more movies so you can kick our butt at Scene It!! Nice try! Mwahahahaha! Hmmm...I will have to compile a list for you, but I have a feeling you've already seen most of them. Let me just say if you haven't seen Newsies, I don't think we can really be friends. LOL! :)

Shamaine said...

I think it sounds like a lot of fun too. Sorry I don't have any suggestions, and I would love to watch with you if we lived closer. :)

Betty said...

Grandma Betty~
This is the first time I have seem your blog! I came to it from Nate & Sara's blog. I will continue checking it out. This is a great way to keep up with what is going on in your lives. LOVE IT! It is so good to live in this 'technology' generation! Love you both and Pray for you daily! I don't know if you like Westerns or not but John Wayne movies are great!
Grandma Betty

7aura7 said...

Have you seen 12 Angry Men yet? Henry Fonda. I was pleasantly surprised with it. Slow, but really good :)